Continued Enrollment Requirements – Policy 91
Policy 91 requires that students continue to make progress towards their degree programs.
Identification of students not making sufficient progress towards BSME degree: Any Mechanical Engineering student not maintaining:
- an overall GPA of 2.000 or higher,
- a GPA of 2.000 or higher for all courses with an “ME” or “NSEG” prefix in the course number, and/or (referred to as an “in major” GPA)
- a GPA of 2.000 or higher in “ME” and “NSEG” courses plus ESM2104, ESM2204, and ESM2304 (referred to as an “extended in major” GPA)
will receive an e-mail informing them that they are on “Policy 91” probation.
In addition to meeting the minimum GPA requirements above, students must also make continuous progress towards completing their BSME degree.
Students who do not complete 12 credits of courses which apply towards their ME degree during any 1 year period may be placed on Policy 91 probation. This does not include co-op work terms or terms during which a student enrolls in 0 credits at Virginia Tech.
Students who are not making progress in milestone courses by a set number of “attempted required credit hours” may also be placed on Policy 91 probation. These requirements include:
- MATH 2114, MATH 2204, and ESM 2104 by 45 attempted required credits
- ESM2304, ME2124, and MATH2214 by 60 attempted required credits
- ME3124, ME3514, and ME3614 by 72 attempted required credits
- ME4006, ME4015, and ME4124 by 90 attempted required credits
Here, “attempted required credits” includes any course on a student’s VT transcripts which is listed on the ME checksheet (or degree path sheet) EXCEPT technical electives and curriculum for liberal education (CLE) electives. Free electives are NOT included in the attempted required credits total. The attempted required credit total includes repeated courses, transfer credits covering required courses, and courses with grades of W or F.
Students on Policy 91 probation may be required to meet with the Mechanical Engineering Associate Department Head for Undergraduate Studies or another member of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee to discuss goals and requirements for the coming semester to ensure that the student makes sufficient progress toward their BSME degree.
Requirements for students placed on Policy 91 probation to avoid suspension: Students placed on Policy 91 probation must do the following while on Policy 91 probation to avoid suspension:
- Complete at least 12 credits of required courses on the ME checksheet during any 1 year period, excluding technical electives and CLE electives, AND
- Complete milestone courses by designated attempted required credits OR complete prerequisites for milestone courses that are overdue. AND
- Take in-major courses and achieve a 2.300 in-major GPA each semester until the cumulative in-major GPA reaches 2.000 or higher (or maintain a 2.000 in-major GPA) AND earn a 2.500 semester overall GPA until the overall GPA reaches 2.000 or higher (or maintain a 2.000 overall GPA).
- As well as maintaining current GPA and/ or course deficiencies, students may not create a new deficiency while on Policy 91.
Conditions to have Policy 91 probation lifted: Students must meet the 2.000 overall, in-major, AND extended in-major GPA requirements. They must also complete the milestone courses in such a way that there are no more incomplete milestone courses which violate the attempted credit deadlines listed above.
Implications of Policy 91 suspension: Policy 91 suspension is a permanent suspension from the department. Students wishing to switch to a different engineering department or college at VT must meet the entrance requirements for the new major. With the new enrollment management plan which takes effect January 2013, changing majors into another engineering department may be more difficult, as ALL degree granting engineering departments will have a variable entrance requirement somewhere between a 2.0 and 3.0 overall GPA.