1. C.N. Kaplan, W.L. Noorduin, L. Li, J. Aizenberg, L. Mahadevan, Controlled growth and form of precipitating microsculptures, Science, (2017) 355, 1396-1399.
2. L. Li*, M. J. Connors*, M. Kolle, G. England, D. Speiser, X. Xiao, J. Aizenberg and C. Ortiz,
Multifunctionality of chiton biomineralized armor with an integrated visual system, Science,
(2015) 350, 952-956. Featured in Front Cover.
3. L. Li^ and C. Ortiz, A Natural 3D interconnected laminate composite for enhanced damage
resistance, Advanced Functional Materials, (2015) 25, 3463-3471. Featured in Front Cover.
4. L. Li*, S. Kolle*, M. Kolle, J. C. Weaver, C. Ortiz and J. Aizenberg, A highly conspicuous
mineralized composite photonic architecture in the translucent shell of the blue-rayed limpet,
Nature Communications, (2015) DOI: 10.1038/ncomms7322.
5. L. Li^, J. C. Weaver, and C. Ortiz, Hierarchical structural design for fracture
resistance in the shell of a pteropod Clio pyramidata, Nature Communications, (2015) DOI:
6. L. Li and C. Ortiz, Pervasive nanoscale deformation twinning as a catalyst for the efficient
energy dissipation in a bioceramic armor, Nature Materials, (2014) 13, 501-507.
7. L. Li and C. Ortiz, Biological design for simultaneous optical transparency and mechanical
robustness in the shell of Placuna placenta, Advanced Materials (2013) 25, 2344-2350.
8. L. Li, Y. Yang, J. Ding, and J. Xue, Synthesis of magnetite nanooctahedra and their magnetic
field-induced two-/three-dimensional superstructures, Chemistry of Materials (2010) 22,
9. X. Tang, E. S. G. Choo, L. Li, J. Ding, and J. Xue, Synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles with
tunable emission colors and their cell labeling applications, Chemistry of Materials (2010)
10. L. Li, E. S. G. Choo, X. Tang, J. Ding, and J. Xue, Ag/Au-decorated Fe3O4/SiO2 composite
nanospheres for catalytic applications, Acta Materialia (2010) 58, 3825-3831.
11. L. Li, D. Jun, and J. Xue, A facile green approach for synthesizing monodisperse magnetite
nanoparticles, Journal of Materials Research (2010) 25, 810-813.
12. L. Li, E. S. G. Choo, X. Tang, J. Ding, and J. Xue, A facile one-step route to synthesize cagelike
silica hollow microspheres loaded with superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles in
their shells, Chemical Communications (2009) 8, 938-940.
13. X. Tang, E. S. G. Choo, L. Li, and J. Xue, One-Pot synthesis of water-stable ZnO
nanoparticles via a polyol hydrolysis route and their cell labeling applications, Langmuir
(2009) 25, 5271-5275.
14. L. Li, J. Ding, and J. Xue, Macroporous silica hollow microspheres as nanoparticles
collectors, Chemistry of Materials (2009) 21, 3629-3637.
15. L. Li, E. S. G. Choo, X. Tang, J. Ding, J. Yi, and J. Xue, Superparamagnetic silica composite
nanospheres (SSCNs) with ultra-high loading of iron oxide nanoparticles via an oil-in-DEG
microemulsion route, Chemistry of Materials (2008) 20, 6292-6294.
16. L. Li, E. S. G. Choo, Z. Liu, D. Jun, and J. Xue, Double-layer silica core-shell nanospheres
with superparamagnetic and fluorescent functionalities, Chemical Physics Letters (2008)
Under review or in preparation:
1. L. Li^, M. J. Connors, J. Weaver, C. Ortiz and J. Aizenberg^, On the intrinsic mechanical properties of biogenic calcite, in preparation.
2. L. Li, Q. T. Zhang, L. Han, M. Kolle, J.-H. Lee, J. Yin, J. Weaver, C. Ortiz, J. Aizenberg^ and P. Vukusic^, Coupling between mechanical protection and photonic coloration leads to
structural optimization in a beetle’s exoskeleton, in preparation.
3. W. Noorduin, L. Li, A. J. Fijneman, J. Aizenberg, Balancing interfacial free energy and local supersaturation to direct nucleation and growth, in preparation.