Proposals and Grants:
31) Dr. Lei Zuo and R. Queen received an ONR grant ($528,314), “Energy Harvesting Backpack with High Specific Power and Broadband using a Dual Mass-inerter and Mechanical Motion Rectification”, 06/2018-05/2021 (05/2018)
30) Bejing iDriver Plus Technology joined in the CEHMS as an Industry Advisory (IAB) Member and will support the CEHMS research (05/2018)
29) Graduate students Yalu Pei, Yillun Liu and Prof Lei Zuo won The 2017 Best Vibrations Paper Award in the 2017 ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, Tysons, VA, for the paper “Regenerative Base Isolation with Multi-Resonant Electromagnetic Shunt Dampers” (10/2017)
28) Prof Lei Zuo won a research grant from NSFC Joint Research Fund for Overseas Chinese Scholars, of two years for Chinese RMB 180,000, entitled “Technology and Innovation of One-way Rotating Electromagnetic Vibration Energy Harvester for Railroad” (08/2017)
27) Prof Lei Zuo receive the 2017 ASME Leonardo Da Vinci Award, which was established in 1978 to recognizes “Eminent achievement in the design or invention of a product which is universally recognized as an important advance in machine design.” The award was announced in 2017 ASME IDETC conference, Cleveland OH. (08/2017).
26) Prof Lei Zuo was recognized as “Inventor of the Month” by the Virginia Tech Intellectual Properties (07/2017).
25) Prof Lei Zuo won a 8th NSF research grant, of $500k for five years, entitled “Phase II IUCRC Virginia Tech: Center for Energy Harvesting Materials and Systems (CEHMS)”, as a co-PI with Drs M Hajj (PI), S Priya, D Ha, S Shahab. (06/2017).
24) Our research on energy harvesting backpack was featured in Norfolk TV, May 2nd 2017, “Virginia Tech developing energy harvesting backpack for Army” (05/2017).
23) Prof Lei Zuo received a competitive on-campus grant, $60,000, “ICATS ERC Planning Initiative: Engineering Research Center for Data Analytics for the Design, Modeling and Monitoring of Physical Systems”, with Dr. M .Hajj (PI), N. Ramakrishnan, et al (12/2016).
22) Our research on ocean wave energy harvesting was featured in ASME Mechanical Engineering Magazine, issue 9, vol 138 ,2016, by Jeff O’Heir, “Ride an energy wave“(09/2016).
21) Prof Lei Zuo won a third DOE Nuclear Engineering research grant of $1M for three years, entitled “NEET: Self-powered Wireless Through-wall Data Communication for Nuclear Environments”, as the PI with collaborators Haifeng Zhang (UNT), Roger Kisner and M. Nance Ericson (ORNL), Michael Heibel (Westinghouse), and Dong Ha (VT). (06/14/2016).
20) Prof Lei Zuo won three research commercialization grants from the same program Virginia Commonwealth Research Commercialization Fund (CRCF), all on energy harvesting: ocean wave (as PI with co-PIs Prof Rob Parker and Prof Khai Ngo), railway (as PI), and piezoelectrics (as co-PI with PI Tian-Bing Xu at NIA), announced by Governor McAuliffe. (06/10/2016).
19) Prof Lei Zuo received a research contract with US Army Research Lab on backpack energy harvesting, $344,371 for two years. (05/18/2016).
18) Prof Lei Zuo received a competitive on-campus grant, $50,000, “ICTAS Energy and Materials Initiative: Smart Building and Smart City”, with Dr. Saifur Rahman as the PI (05/2016).
17) The Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation recognizes Prof Lei Zuo as the Scholar of the Week (04/25/2016).
16) MS student Jackson Klein in our group won a $50k DOE Fellowship from DOE Nuclear Energy University Programs. Congratulations! (04/25/2016)
15) Our ocean wave energy harvesting research was featured by VT News (03/23/2016)
14) Prof Lei Zuo received competitive on-campus grants, of total $96,000, on “Smart Drill Field: Energy Harvesting and Lighting”, with Hajj, McGrath, Ishida, and Kennedy, from VT office for VP for research and innovation, office of VP for Administration, ICTAS, ICAT, and Student Engineer Council (03/2016).
12) Our “Multistage Force Amplification Piezoelectric Energy Harvester” was selected as the 2015 “Winner of Best Technology Development of Energy Harvesting” by Energy Harvesting and Storage USA 2015 Conference. This research is in collaboration with NASA Langley Research Center (Emilie J. Siochi), National Institute of Aerospace (Tian-Bing Xu and Jin Ho Kang), and North Corina State University (Xiaoning Jiang).
11) Our “Ocean Wave Energy Harvester” is selected as the Bronze Winner of the “R&D 100 Green Technology Special Recognition Award” by R&D Magazine, which recognizes the top 100 technology innovations of the year around the word. It was announced on Nov 13th in the R&D100 Awards and Technology Conference at Las Vegas. “These special awards, new this year, highlight the incredible innovations that will have a direct impact on people’s daily lives, from health care to energy technologies, and demonstrate just how the pace of research and development affects how we live,” said Bea Riemschneider, Editorial Director, R&D 100 Awards.
This is the second R&D100 Award Prof Lei Zuo and students received. The previous R&D100 Award was in 2011, for Energy Harvesting Shock Absorber (Lei Zuo, Xiudong Tang, Zac Brindak). In addition, our Railway Energy Harvester (Lei Zuo, Teng Lin, Lirong Wang) was selected into the 2015 R&D100 Finalists. (11/13/2015)
10) Our energy harvesting shock absorber research was featured by VT News (08/04/2015)
9) Prof Lei Zuo was selected for John R. Jones III Faculty Fellowship(pdf) for five years (2015-2020), an endowed faculty fellowship at VT. (11/03/2015), appointed by the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors (VT News)
8) Prof Lei Zuo won a $2M DOE research project as the PI on the ocean wave energy harvesting, with collaborators at THK, RME and NREL. Profs Robert Parker and Khai Ngo are co-PIs at VT. (08/2015)
7) Prof Lei Zuo received the 2015 ASME Thar Energy Design Award, for his “pioneering research on energy harvesting, especially at large scale”. (08/2015)
6) Prof Lei Zuo won a 7th NSF Research Grant, entitled “NeTS: Small: Long-range ocean communication links powered by energy harvesting”. He is a co-PI with Prof Yaling Yang (PI) and Majid Manteghi (co-PI). (07/2015)
5) Prof Lei Zuo won a grant from Virginia Commonwealth Research Commercialization Fund (CRCF) on energy harvesting Vehicle Suspension as the PI, with collaborators Profs Khai Ngo, Corina Sandu, Mehdi Ahmadian, and Steve Southward. (05/2015)
4) Prof Lei Zuo won a 6th NSF Research Grant at the PI, entitled “GOALI: Collaborative Research: Energy harvesting nanorods-enhanced MEMS temperature-insensitive gas sensor for combustion monitoring and control”. The collaborator is Prof Haifeng Zhang (UNT), Guangan Wang (SC), and David Lin (GE). (04/2015)
3) Prof Lei Zuo received the award of Best Technology Development of Large Scale Energy Harvesting in the Energy Harvesting and Storage USA 2014 conference in Santa Clara, CA (11/2014)
2) Prof Lei Zuo and students receive the 2014 ASME Best Paper Award in Structures and Structural Dynamics, for a paper “Energy-harvesting shock absorber with a mechanical motion rectifier” published in Smart Materials and Structures. (09/2014)
1) Prof Lei Zuo won a 5th NSF Research Grant as the PI, entitled “GOALI: Energy Efficient and Reliable Motion Mechanism for Ocean Wave Energy Harvesting”, with industry collaborator Paul Jacobson at EPRI. (07/2014)
Events and Activities:
65) Dr. Lei Zuo will give a Keynote Talk at Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference, “Mechanical Motion Rectifier: A High Efficiency and Reliable WEC Power Takeoff”, Taipei, Taiwan, 09/2018
64) Out paper was selected as 2018 ASME Best Paper Award in Advanced Modeling and Simulation by the ASME Computers and Information in Engineering Division in the 2018 ASME IDETC/CIE Conferences, Quebec. The paper is “Energy Harvesting for Nuclear Waste Sensing and Monitoring”, Yongjia Wu, Jackson Klein, Hanchen Zhou, Lei Zuo. Congratulations! (08/27/2018)
63) Dr. Lei Zuo gave an Invited Talk, at the 25th International Conference on Chemical Thermodynamics (ICCT) and the 73rd Calorimetry Conference (CALCON), “MEMS-based differential scanning calorimetry”, Lake Tahoe, California, 08/2018
62) Jia Mi and Lisheng Yang joined in the group as PhD students, and Aditya Bhardwaj join in the group as a MS student in Fall 2018. Welcome!
61) Teng Lin passed his PhD defense: “Railroad Energy Harvesting System Design, Modeling and Testing for Trackside Electric Infrastructures”, Congratulations Dr. Lin (08/01/2018)
60) Dr. Lei Zuo gave a Plenary Talk at 2018 International Conference on Automotive NVH Control Technology, “Good Vibration: Energy Harvesting and Intelligent Vehicles”, SuZhou, China (06/2018)
59) Dr. Lei Zuo took the role of Director of NSF I/UCRC Center for Energy Harvesting Materials and Systems (CEHMS) after the CEHMS IAB meeting (06/01/2018)
58) Dr. Lei Zuo was selected as Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research, Virginia Tech (05/2018)
57) Dr. Lei Zuo was invited to 2017 DOE Marine Energy Technologies Forum in DC and gave a talk on “MHK Recharging for Autonomous Unmanned Underwater Vehicles” (12/2018)
56) Dr. Lei Zuo attended the 12th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference (EWTEC 2018) in Cork, Ireland (09/2018)
55) Dillon Martin, Xiaofan Li, ChienAn Chen, Dr. Xiuxing Yin and Prof. Lei Zuo conducted two weeks of wave tank test on 1:30 and 1:20 Wave Energy Converters in Alfond W2 Ocean Engineering Lab (07/2018)
54) Dillon Martin passed his MS thesis defense “Marine hydrodynamics of ocean wave energy converter”. He will be a MS research associate in our group. Congratulations! (10/2017)
53) Xiudong Tang, the first PhD student graduated in the group (02/2013), joined in New York Institute of Technology as an Assistant Professor after working in industry for 4.5 years. Congratulations Prof Tang! (08/2017)
52) Prof Lei Zuo gave an invited talk at SUNY Buffalo, “Energy Harvesting: From Self-Powered Sensing and Control to Blue Energy” (08/03/2017)
51) Shuyu Wang passed his PhD desperation defense “A MEMS-based Differential Scanning Calorimeter for Protein Stability Characterization”. He will take an industry job in NY. Congratulations Dr. Wang! (7/2017)
50) Prof Lei Zuo delivered an invited commencement speech in the graduation ceremony of the Department of Automotive Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (07/01/2017). He also give a seminar at Tsinghua University, “Improve vehicle dynamics and fuel efficiency via energy harvesting” (06/30/2017).
49) Prof Lei Zuo was Invited to be a panelist at American Nuclear Society meeting, June 11-15, 2017, San Francisco, CA. He presented “Energy Harvesting for Sensor and Data Communication in Nuclear Spent Fuel Dry Storage” (06/2017)
48) Dr. Yan Bo joined in the group as a visiting scholar for three months from Zhejiang SCI-TECH University, China (06/2017).
47) Jackson Klein passed his MS thesis defense “Energy Harvesting Opportunities Throughout the Nuclear Power Cycle for Self-Powered Wireless Sensor Nodes”. He will started an industry job. Congratulations! (05/2017)
46) Prof Lei Zuo gave an invited talk at Uncharted Power, a NYC based company, “Energy harvesting technologies and commercialization” (03/2017). He also later accepted the invitation to be the R&D Adviser in the company’s advisory board.
45) Yue Yuan passed his MS thesis defense “Backpack energy harvesting with human walking model”. She will take an industry job in VA. Congratulations! (02/2017)
44) Dr. Shengxi Zhou joined in the research group as a postdoc. He finished PhD from Xi’an Jiantong University with two years of joint training in the University of Michigan (02/2017).
43) Yalu Pei passed his MS thesis defense “Multi-resonant electromagnetic shunt in base isolation for vibration damping and energy harvesting”. He will take an industry job in CT. Congratulations! (12/2016)
42) Changwei Liang passed his PhD desperation defense “On the Dynamics and Design of a Wave Energy Converter with Mechanical Motion Rectifier”. He will be a postdoc in our group (12/2016). Congratulations to Dr. Liang for starting an industry job in CA (05/2017)
41) Dr. Jianyong Zuo joined in the group as a visiting scholar for four months from Tongjia University under the financial support of China Scholarship Council (12/2016).
40) Prof Lei Zuo gave an invited talk at 2016 IDTechEx Energy Harvesting and Storage USA Conference, “Mechanical Motion Rectifier: A Breakthrough for Large Scale Energy Harvesting” (11/2016)
39) Yilun Liu passed his PhD desperation defense “Design, Modeling and Control of Vibration Systems with Electromagnetic Energy Harvesters and their Application to Vehicle Suspensions”. He will take an industry job in OH, Congratulations Dr Liu! (10/2016).
38) Shaoxu Xing passed his MS thesis defense “Design of power converter and wireless data transmission for TEG energy harvesting”. He also got a second Master degree in ECE. He will return to Nanjing China for an industry position (09/2016),
37) Prof Lei Zuo gave an invited seminar in the Distinguished Speaker Series, at Dept. Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto, “Energy Harvesting: from Wireless Sensing to Renewable Energy” (09/2016)
36) Dr. Wei Che Tai joined in the research group as a postdoc. He finished PhD from University of Washington in 2014 (08/2016).
35) Dr. Xiuxing Yin joined in the research group as a postdoc. He finished PhD from Zhejing University in 2016 (08/2016).
34) Dr. Long Wu joined in the group as a visiting scholar for one year from Sanming University, China under the financial support of FuJian Provincial Department of Education (08/2016).
33) Prof Lei Zuo was invited to be a panelist at the Hydrovision International Hydropower Conference, Minneapolis, and gave a talk “An Innovative Power Takeoff for Efficient and Reliable Ocean Wave Energy Harvesting” (07/27-29, 2016)
32) Prakhar Todaria passed his MS thesis defense “Energy harvesting speed bump”. He will take an industry job in NC. Congratulations! (03/2016)
31) Dr. Gangfeng Tan joined in the group as a visiting scholar for one year from Wuhan University of Technology under the financial support of China Scholarship Council (01/2016)
30) Jie Chen passed his MS thesis defense “Thermoelectric energy harvesting for nuclear sensing”. He will take an industry position in NC. Congratulations! (12/2015).
29) Dr. Hongxin Sun joined the group as visiting scholar from Hunan University of Science and Technology, under one year of support from China Scholarship Council. (09/2015)
28) Per Prof Lei Zuo’s invitation, Dr. Tianbing Xu, associate fellow at National Institute of Aerospace, visited Virginia Tech and gave a seminar. (09/2015)
27) Lei Zuo attended the 10th Energy Harvesting Workshop, Blacksburg, VA, where he served in the local organization committee. (09/2015)
26) Per Prof Lei Zuo’s invitation, Prof Jiahn-Horng Chen, the deputy director of Research Center for Ocean Energy & Strategy, former provost and engineering colleague dean at National Taiwan Ocean University, visited Virginia Tech. (09/2015)
25) Isil Anakok, Jackson Klein, Xiaofan Li, Tim Cerilli, and Peter Racioppo join the group as MS students. (08/2015)
24) Yongjia Wu and Yu Pan joined the group as PhD students. Yongjia finished his MS and BS from Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Yu Pan finished his BS from Tongji University. (08/2015)
23) Prof Lei Zuo visited Taiwan and mainland China and gave talks at National Taiwan University (Taipei), National Chiao Tung University (Hsinchu), National Chung Hsing University (Taichung), National Taiwan Ocean University (Keelung), Huazhong University of Science and Technology (Wuhan), and Tsinghua University (Beijing). (08/2015)
22) Prof Lei Zuo attended the 2015 ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference and the 43rd SME North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC-MSEC) in Charlotte, NC. (06/2015).
21) Joshua Ding, a high school student in Chicago, joined the group as a summer intern. (06/2015)
20) Carl Matthew Capindo and Jason Parker joined the group as summer undergraduate research students under NSF support (05/2015). Tim Cerilli and Timothy Wersinger joined in the group as undergraduate research student in the summer. (06/2015)
19) You Wu passed his MS thesis defense at VT, and he will take an industry job in San Francisco. (05/2015)
18) Prof Lei Zuo attended the Virginia Tech Hampton Roads Showcase. (05/2015)
17) Prof Lei Zuo attended the SPIE Smart Structures/NDE conferences in San Diego, CA, where he served as technical committee member for the Passive and Active Smart Structure conference. (03/2015)
16) Wanlu Zhou passed her PhD thesis defense at SBU “Multifunctional Smart Structures for Energy Harvesting, Structure Health Monitoring and Vibration”, and she will take an industry position at Seagate in San Francisco CA. (03/2015)
15) Gaosheng Fu passed his PhD thesis defense at SBU “Integrated Design and Manufacturing of Thermoelectric Generator for Energy Harvesting”, and he will take an industry position at Lam Research in Portland OR. (03/2015)
14) Prof Kon-Well Wang, the chair of Mechanical Engineering Department at University of Michigan, visited Virginia Tech and gave a seminar in Mechanical Engineering Distinguished Speaker Series. Prof Lei Zuo hosted Prof Wang’s visit. (02/2015).
13) Yalu Pei joined the group as a PhD student, after finishing his MS from Shanghai Jiao Tong University. (01/2015)
12) Shubin Chen passed his MS thesis defense at SBU “Optimal Design of Force Magnification for Multilayer Piezoelectric Energy Harvester”, and he took an industry job at GE (12/2014)
11) Prof Lei Zuo attended the Energy Harvesting and Storage USA 2014 conference in Santa Clara, CA, where he held booth showcase of Virginia Tech’s Center of Energy Harvesting Materials and Systems and chaired several sessions on energy harvesting. (11/2014)
10) Prof Lei Zuo gave an invited seminar at City University of New York (10/2014).
9) Prof Lei Zuo attended the 2014 ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference (DSCC) in San Antonio, Texas, where he organized invited sessions on energy harvesting and smart structures (10/2014)
8) Prof Lei Zuo attended the 2014 ASME Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems (SMASIS) in Newport, Rhode Island (09/2014)
7) Sijing Guo joined the group as a visiting PhD student from Wuhan University of Technology, under two years of support from China Scholarship Council. Yue Yuan joined the group as a MS student (09/2014)
6) Dr. Lin Xu and Dr. Nian Wang joined the group as visiting scholar from Wuhan University of Technology, under one year of support from China Scholarship Council. (09/2014)
5) Prof Lei Zuo attended ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference (IDETC) in Buffalo, NY, where he served as the program co-chair of the 16th International Conference on Advanced Vehicle Technology and organized the symposium on vibration control and energy harvesting in the Conference of Mechanical Vibration and Noise. (08/2014)
4) PhD student Yilun Liu, MS students You Wu, Prakhar Todaria, Shaoxu Xin, Jie Chen, and Mincan Cao transferred to Virginia Tech from Stony Brook University. PhD students Wanlu Zhou, Changwei Liang, and Gaosheng Fu would work at Virginia Tech as visiting students. PhD students Peng Li, Teng Lin, Shuyu Wang, and Shifeng Yu, MS students Shubin Chen and Abhishek Pandey stayed at Stony Brook under the supervision of Prof Lei Zuo as adjunct faculty at SBU. (08/2015)
3) Prof Lei Zuo moved to Virginia Tech from Stony Brook University (08/2014)
2) Prof Lei Zuo attended the 12th Motion and Vibration Control Conference (MOVIC2015) in Sapporo, Japan, in which he served as an Overseas Committee member (06/2014)
1) Prof Lei Zuo accepted the position of associate professor with tenure at Virginia Tech (05/2015)