- Computational Fluid Dynamics in dynamic geometries
- Parallel computing
- Turbulence modeling, Large Eddy Simulations
- Turbulent flow and heat transfer
- Fluid-structure Interaction
- Particulate flows, Discrete Element Method
Develop and apply large-scale high performance simulation tools to a wide range of physical phenomena in the fluid-thermal sciences. Applications include internal and external cooling of turbine vanes and blades, heat transfer enhancement surfaces in compact heat exchangers, fluidized beds, cardio-vascular flows, aerodynamics of flapping flight for Micro-Air Vehicle (MAV) applications, CO2 capture, microfluidics, and flows in solid rocket motors. The research has been supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF), Army Research Office (ARO), Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR), Department of Energy (DOE), Air Force Research laboratory (AFRL), Rolls Royce Corporation, Pratt & Whitney, Solar Turbines, Modine Mfg. Co., Aerojet, and CAER-AREVA. The research work has resulted in over 170 journal and conference publications.
- William S. Cross Professor of Engineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech, (2009-)
- Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech, (2008-).
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech, (2002-2008).
- Associate Director & Acting Senior Associate Director, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (UIUC) (1998-1999).
- Sr. Research Scientist, NCSA-UIUC (1996-2001)
- Research Scientist, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (1991-1996)
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, UIUC, (1994-2002)
- Scientist, DOE-ASCI Center for Simulation of Advanced Rockets (1997-2001), UIUC.
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (1989 - 1991)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, West Virginia Institute of Technology (1988 - 1989)
- Research Engineer, Thermax, India (1983 - 1984)